Monday, December 12, 2011

Mending a Zippered Purse~


I found a tutorial online for zipper repairs through Pinterest and I did this little project as a favor for my daughter. It took me about an hour…and all the sewing was by hand. Yellow purse- Sewing 002 The zipper pull was off the purse. Yellow purse- Sewing 003
It had gotten caught on the lining and the outer vinyl…and yanked off in order to get the purse open apparently. I just made that part up…cause REALLY the youngest daughter got the purse for 1 BUCK at Bargain Land…AND I don’t know what happened; but let’s just suppose that happened. {wink} Yellow purse- Sewing 005  I pulled the liner to the outside of the purseYellow purse- Sewing 006  …got busy and cut it open all the way; so that I could get to the zipper from the inside. Yellow purse- Sewing 011  I found the end of the zipper… Yellow purse- Sewing 012
Cut it loose from these stitches.
Yellow purse- Sewing 021
Now I had this old purse with the right size zipper glide and cut the end off the zipper and slid the glide off to use on the ‘good’ purse.
Yellow purse- Sewing 014  Kind of like this… only this zipper was a spare and the glide ended up being too small.  So now I have to repair the zipper before I can use it. Oh well, live and learn! Yellow purse- Sewing 020   Here is the daughter’s purse with the ‘new’ zipper glide …complete with contrasting green pull (which she can remove and replace with her own choice of bobble) Yellow purse- Sewing 019 This red thread is what I used to make a zipper stopper on the zipper.  This is after a few stitches. I made mine thicker; I didn’t want the zipper coming off! Just to be sure…I have also sewn this end back into the inside of the liner. Yellow purse- Sewing 023You can barely see the red thread at the top of the zipper.  Yellow purse- Sewing 024 Now I’ve sewn the liner back together and tucked it back inside the purse. Yellow purse- Sewing 026I noticed that the zipper was trying to hang up on the liner again…so I pulled the liner taught and stitched it down to the inside of the purse about 1 inch from the zipper-- so it wouldn’t bunch up against the zipper and pull again. Yellow purse- Sewing 027 Here it is all zipped up! Yellow purse- Sewing Not bad for 1 BUCK!  That’s my girl…all grown up and trying to save where she can. The fruit doesn’t fall far from the tree around here…no sir ~ree!
God Bless you and Thanks for Reading~

6 comments:

Angel said...

Man, even I wouldn't have attempted that project. So kudos to you!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I definitely need to practice sewing zippers in. I haven't done that since I was in 4H.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

woohoo! great deal and great save by mom!
gail

camp and cottage living said...

How lucky your thrifty daughter is to have a talented mother like you!
Believe me not many people (me included) would have the patience you do or the ability to do this sort of repair. Great job!

Cindy said...

Wow, that was very educational! Thanks. Your daughter sounds like mine, always saving money. She dresses her kids in beautiful, expensive clothing that she pays pennies for. Good to know our kids have learned something.
Hugs, Cindy

The Prudent Homemaker said...

I have mended lots of things, but never a zipper like this. What a great job!