Thursday, December 18, 2014

:: First-time Fudge

 

Today was my Dad day.  Errand with my dad, grab some lunch, empty the trunk of my car at the Good Will… it’s right around the corner from Dad’s house;  very convenient for dropping of items I’ve been packing up or sorting through…

Today, an indoor grill, a singing lobster, 3 purses and two bags of clothes that are now too big for me!  YAY!

Came home—snuggled with Vincy and rocked him to sleep.  He was overly tired from playing when I got here around 1:30 pm — a few bars of Moon River and he was out!  That’s his favorite song that I sing to him.  I don’t kid around, that baby LOVES THAT SONG!

BIRTHDAY FUDGE

As soon as he was asleep, I was ready to try my hand in the kitchen making fudge.  I’ve always heard you either CAN make IT… or not.  Apparently… I can make FUDGE!  

 

FIRST TIME FUDGE RECIPE

I was afraid it wasn’t turning out, I was patient and let it cook—the recipe I used had two times of 15 minutes with in the recipe… so I ended up cooking this first WHILE STIRRING about 15 minutes and then WHILE NOT STIRRING… another 15 minutes. ( a bit sketchy for me… not on the part of the recipe- I didn’t read through the recipe ENOUGH TIMES! )  I kept checking for the ‘soft ball’ test. 

 FIRST TIME FUDGE

It wasn’t pretty going into the pan, because it was starting to set up pretty quick, BUT!!! I was hopeful at that point.  It isn’t smooth… it is a slight bit grainy.  HERE IS THE REASON-

FROM HER NOTES: 

NOTES:

For best results, do not double this recipe. The directions must be followed exactly. Beat too little and the fudge is too soft. Beat too long and it becomes hard and sugary.   OH YEAH!  I DEFINITELY DID THAT! 

 

But over all—CHOCOLATE-Y GOOD!   When Honey tried it… see that corner missing?   Oh yes!  He told me it tasted just like what his dad used to make.  {big grin} 

I call it  --A SUCCESS! 

I’ll try again before Christmas or New Years for sure.  I hope to get better with each try.  Wouldn’t fudge be a SWEET GIFT for my VALENTINE? 

Then in April for our Anniversary…? 

…June for Father’s day? 

By this time next year… He’ll be so sick of my FIRST TIME FUDGE. 

He’ll get pie for his next birthday!

 

‘Til next time, Be Blessed!


           Patricia



*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.                 ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7

9 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I can't believe you gave up a singing lobster! That's even better than the singing fish I've seen ! The only thing that could possibly beat both is a jackalope (which I hate to admit I have always wanted !)
LOL I'm sure the fudge is wonderfully tasty, regardless of texture!

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

Personally I like the fudge to be grainy. My dad makes fabulous fudge and I always look forward to getting a tin of it at Christmas - thats the only time he makes it.'

I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to fudge. I need an intervention...

holli said...

Shoot I wish I lived closer , my church does free shopping days through our clothes closet and we take donations all year of clothing.
I have never attempted fudge yet. Maybe I will try this year if it seems easy.

holli said...

OH and I have a singing fish that gets used a lot during White elephant Christmas parties. The lobster would be a great hit!

Shug said...

My mouth is watering.....the fudge looks so good!! I guess I need to get busy and make some!! Dad days are fun....love making memories!! Enjoy that fudge!

My Repurposed Life said...

I don't believe I've ever successfully made this fudge... I've always failed the "soft ball" test. But honestly I LOVE the fantasy fudge so much better. It's creamy and softer.

Practice makes perfect, you'll get it less grainy next time. :)

NanaDiana said...

I love making candy. That looks like good old-fashioned fudge to me. xo Diana

Michelle H said...

I LOVE that your little guy loves Moon River! So cute, maybe your grandson will be a famous modern crooner/Michael Buble type, lol! I confess that I make the super easy, no-fail sweetened condensed milk/choc chips/vanilla fudge. It fortunately is my favorite - though I'm not sure "fortunately" works when it means I'm going to eat more! I think fudge would be the perfect gift for your valentine! Especially when it tastes like the kind he loved!

A Daughter of the King said...

Yeah, and there are those who like it grainy and those who like it smooth. My kids all liked it grainy, which I now know means that I beat it too long. We call our fudge Updock. When you ask someone if they want some Updock, they say, "What's Updock?" and you get to smile at this little word play. It's a thing my mom and her friend thought up about 60 years ago. Amazing how little traditions start and last through the generations. For my four daughters, Updock fudge means Christmas. What IS it? -- Just fudge with peanut butter in it. Grainy too. Blessings Patricia. Love your tin, BTW.