Friday, November 18, 2011

Storage Solution-Creative Itch-Free!

I'm posting this at FJI- Special Link Party-- 
cutlery pallet
I’ve been looking at ‘faux tin’ backsplashes lately. Pricing it at Lowe’s… NOT liking what I see. Oh, I LOVE the cool ‘tin’ tiles you adhere to the wall; but I just decided I’m not coming off with the money it would take to makeover behind my stove and underneath my upper cabinets. 
So,  I came up with a different solution—that was more in keeping with my budget…FREE!
mantle
This is what I’ve had over my stove.  My little ‘chalkboard paint’ TRAY. Cute… I like it and I sometimes get a laugh when I write little sayings on it.  I’ll probably keep it in my kitchen- just not sure where yet.
K-mantel with corrugated metal and pallet shelf 006
While, back behind the barn the other day I came across this piece of corrugated tin… just lying there…calling my name.  
I took it into the house, cleaned it off and nailed  screwed it up there! I didn’t even have to think about it, I just did it.
I also saw a stack of pallets waiting to be used for some glorious project.
Then I remembered seeing this last week; FROM FLEA MARKET TRIXIEP1060804source
…and I thought to myself, ‘You’d better do something with those pallets or they’ll be tossed or burned as soon as the BURN BAN is lifted’.
Here it is… my quest to have tin behind my stove- SATISFIED!  Right Now, I LOVE IT!  It holds all my utensils for cooking. 
Is it gorgeous and Turquoise? NO. But it is rustic and rough…just the way I like it!corrugated metal backsplash
I added a wire going across the back to hold it up; and right now I have placed a couple of pickle jars inside to help hold everything UP and in place. I will probably change those out soon with some bean cans; JUST as soon as I open up some canned veggies; after all, using pickle jars for holders -creates a shortage on perfectly good drinking glasses!   {wink-wink}
Three things this project had going for it from the beginning:
  1. Storage
  2. Creativity (I got to make something)
  3. Price. Can’t beat free!
Not only did it become a storage and counter space solution; this little project satisfied my urge to switch things up a little in the kitchen.  One week before Thanksgiving is NOT the time to be delving into some great big project~ it also made me feel pretty good that I didn’t have to spend anything to do it. {SMILE}
* EDITED TO SAY:  I didn't leave it alone... I touched up my freebie again later with some fancy SIGNAGE... you can that HERE


I love reading about ways to add storage into our SMALL home and like most of you --- I DO it on a small budget.  Have you read  Brenda @ Cozy Little House and Claudia @ Mockingbird Hill Cottage ? They are starting a new series together called,  DEFENDING THE SMALL HOUSE

These two ladies have some great ideas. They just had their first installment this week…go there and check it out!  Nothing but BIG IDEAS FOR SMALL SPACES! 
God Bless you and Thanks for reading~

*thanks Trixie for inspiration and allowing me to use your photo!


linking here: FJI- saturday night special 108 
                 farmgirl friday 33



16 comments:

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

I "LOVE" how you took an idea and made it your OWN! Very nice. . . . very, very nice indeed!

nannykim said...

Well, tell me about the stove! How old is that stove and what kind is it? It reminds me of one of those English agie (spelling?) type stoves.

Claudia said...

Thanks for the shout out! i just love what you did behind your stove. It looks fabulous and is perfect for the look of your kitchen. Congratulations!

xo
Claudia

Leah said...

What a creative gal you are! I'm impressed with your little project - it turned out so cute!

Good job on keeping up with the Giving Thanks Challenge. I was so tickled to see that you are up-to-date with it, and going strong. You have much to be thankful for, and are so blessed!

Happy Thanksgiving!

- Leah

Anna said...

I love your idea.Great job! But I really love the stove.
Blessing to u and Happy Thanksgiving,Anna

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

I love it too! corrugated tin panels have been my favorite this summer. I used them in my outdoor kitchen to change up the look. Best of all they are sooo inexpensive in comparison to the stuff they sell for backsplash. Kudos to you for getting the new look for free. Love your storage caddy too.

Unknown said...

Pat!You've been giving your creative farmgirl muscles a good workout! I adore both of your project...wow! Free, adorable and functional! you can't beat that!
thanks for sharing and the birthday wishes too!
Deb

Katie @ sweetgirlexpressions said...

Nicely done.....looks perfect :)

Eclectically Vintage said...

The wall over my stove looks a bit naked - could use something cute like this! Thanks for stopping by my blog and liking my dining room. That tomato platter (funny, I always thought they were peaches!) is my favorite on that wall too.
Kelly

Eclectically Vintage said...

And am following you too!

camp and cottage living said...

I love old corrugated tin!
It looks great with your rustic hanging box.
What do they say? Necessity is the mother of invention!

The Boston Lady said...

Pat, you are a genius! I love your solution - it fits perfectly into your "decor". Ann

Cindy said...

Hi my friend,
How are you? I love the corrugated tin and the sweet little box you made. You are creative and very capable, I see with a saw.
Your kitchen is so nice.
Hugs, Cindy

Mary Ann said...

When I stopped in our newly-remodeled feed store yesterday, I noticed that UP on the counter where we are totted up and pay, they have attached... galvanized tin, and it looks GREAT. Your stove looks great, too!

Mel's Designs from the Cabin said...

wellll, aren't you the creative one....gracious...I get a kick out of repurposing stuff into beautiful things...now usable...good ideas! Mel's Designs

Debbiedoos said...

Well you know I think it is absolutely perfecto. What a great solution and it looks so cute too. Enjoy your thanksgiving.