Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Nest Egg


No. Sorry, I’m not speaking of all the wealth I have stashed. But then again... you know this isn't a finance blog ...so you may just be happy I'm talking money, especially this time of year!

Two nights ago we got home after dark.  We’d been gone all day and I wanted to go out and check on ‘the girls’ and see how they were doing.
When I got out there I was so surprised and happy…
 all the chickens including George ,my rooster,  were inside the coop; and out of the cool ,damp weather…FINALLY!   I had almost given up on them.
I have really been hoping they’d get inside there and get comfy and that their body heat would help one another to stay warm.  I have been also hoping they’d start laying in the nest boxes we built for them. But no.
So you can just imagine my utter surprise when I opened the nest box door around back and there WAS AN EGG!  YAY!
wall paper- pond at grad- nest boxes- radishes 028
I check it everyday… hoping they’ve laid an egg inside there. All the eggs we’ve gotten so far have been under the coop in the corner next to the feed bin.  A shared favorite spot for two of the hens. But now…hopefully, they’ll start laying up top where they are supposed to be! 
This makes me proud of my chickens! 
I’m one happy chicken owner today. (written Tuesday) 
(it’s the little things that make this chick happy! seriously)
God bless you and Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I understand your excitement! I was happy when 3 of mine finally started laying in the laying box!! Now if the rest of the girls would do the same thing!

The Boston Lady said...

Oh now I think that's exciting and I'm not kidding. I seriously hope the next place I live doesn't forbid chickens - you've made me want some. Ann

Homesteading wife said...

put a golf ball where you want them to lay. Chickens like to do what other chickens do, so sometimes we have to trick them into it.

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

Congratulations!
I am so proud of you and your hens ;)
And I pray that all the eggs will be found inside the coop from now on!
Chickens are kinda like children, huh?
Happy happy Thanksgiving Day to you!
HUGS!
~me

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

Yay for your happy hen! We haven't any chickens right now - but hopefully we'll get some in the Spring. Hubby really loves his girls! ;)

Have a blessed Thanksgiving Day. . . there is much to be grateful for, isn't there?