Friday, August 31, 2012

::Chicken Plucker Update and Compassion ::

Hi All! 
After writing the previous post about building our own Chicken Plucker; many of you left comments stating what degree of experience you've had with raising meat chickens.  Some of you are just plain curious and intrigued about the process. 
Most of you are squeamish! 


It got me thinking about the whole Up and Coming process. I thought I'd take a minute to sit down;  To not sugar coat it and  tell you how I really feel! 





With all the reading I've been doing; I've learned it is done quite humanely and it isn't something you want to do ALL THE TIME; otherwise, you become desensitized to it and lose your compassionate edge for animals. 



So believe me, when I say-  I, in No Way...am making a mockery of what these animals are being raised for. 

While our bigger chickens, the first flock of birds we got in October are giving us eggs and we've named them and they are more or less like our pets...



The Nuggets are being raised to put on the table. Period. 

But you know, I must make light of it-- it is my Poker face. Laughter is how I deal with some of the LIFE'S less pleasurable moments. So while I may write a post and speak jokingly about these things. It's just me ...dealing with it. 



Now as to the building of The Machine
























We've hit a snag with the motor we found in the shed...


***yes, ~Liz, we just happened to have a motor in the shed, ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER JUNK WE'VE SAVED FOR 'JUST IN CASE'. The know how comes from my degree...from the YOU-niversity of TUBE! I am a self educated woman. ;) 

It (the motor) didn't work. It may work with some adjustments and good cleaning. This particular motor had DOBBER's NESTS inside and no plug or cord.  We put a cord on after cleaning it; but is still wouldn't turn. 

We actually have a couple of more motors we're going to work with and hopefully we'll be up and running soon. 

In the mean time, I've been reading up on killing and cleaning chickens that are the age of ours.  Taking precautions to have SALMONELLA-FREE chicken. The benefits of chilling the chickens in Ice Cold running water, cooling them 4-6 hours for tenderness...before freezing, etc. 

Joining here

Deborah Jean's DandelionHouse

Hop on over and see what else is taking place in the world of homesteading! It's NOT all chickens... you're sure to find something you'll enjoy reading about. 




Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. 
Proverbs 3:5-6 
 

2 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I have no doubt that you are compassionate. There is nothing wrong with raising food for you table, and I think everything one that reads you totally gets your humor and if not ...OH WEll!

Carol

Lisa said...

I did 75 meat chickens last year...it is not an easy process ...we had an assembly line of neighbors wanting to learn and that made it much faster! I would love love love to have a chicken plucker...there is nothing that compares to knowing what is on your table is what you nurtured and made with your own hands!