Wednesday, January 9, 2013

::Frugal Fodder ~9~

Thinking Outside the Breaker Box! 

On my TABS at the top of my page—I have a ‘wish list’ page.
One of the items on that list is a clothes drying rack. I’ve had a clothes drying rack on my wish list for quite some time.  I was given one when I saw my brother over the holidays!  I was so happy to have it. He brought it to me and I’ll tell you a secret. It was curb shopped!   He told me he knew the people throwing it out; and informed them he was taking it. I’m so glad he did!  :)
100_7708
Anyway, it isn’t the one from HOMESTEAD DRYING RACKS but it is a drying rack, it is wooden, and it is small enough to sit near my wood stove; out of the way of danger(the wall heater in the above photo is not in use…the wood stove is to the left of the rack) Just in case you were wondering. :)


100_7707  My favorite jeans. :)
The first day I used it…I dried 2 pair of jeans and a load of towels all at one time!  It took a while but we weren’t going anywhere…the fire was burning!
It’s just The Honey and myself…so it works quite well for us!  The fire is going. The clothes are drying. We are warm…and supper was cooking all at one time! What a savings!
Where we live, I can still use my clothes line outside, weather permitting. We’ve had an abundance of rain the last two days.  I can use this clothes dryer on wet days; and on days when it’s rainy but not cold I also have a retractable line in the Utility Room that I can use. 
This got me to thinking about my word for the year “simple” and I think that while drying my clothes in this manner isn’t as EASY as throwing them in the dryer and walking away…it is still simple.  It creates a simple way to save on our utilities—remember, we are retired and home almost every single day; that means lights and fans and appliances get turned off and on all day long. Any little bit I can save will help. Like most of you, I’ve also been thinking of ways to save on our budget and spend less money.  Thinking outside the box. It’s tough. Sometimes you have to decide what you are willing to live with and sometimes it’s as simple as getting rid of things you don’t use.  I’ve talked with The Honey and I’m going to sell my electric clothes dryer. This is a BIG STEP for us. The clothes dryer is generally considered an asset. It’s paid for and we’ve had it for about 10 years. It still looks brand new and works like new too. It has low miles/hours on it. I’ve hardly used it. I no longer have the washing machine that matches it. It didn’t last.  So I have this appliance that sits in my home. Takes up space. Isn’t used (like some ICONS ON MY DESKTOP). So the SIMPLE solution is to sell it.
I know not everyone can dry their clothes like this; or sell their clothes dryer for that matter. The point is there are things you can do to save on your utility bills. There are ways to put pennies back into your pocket. Just think about things you can do, that you are willing to live with or in this case without and make adjustments. Perhaps you could put your casual clothes on hangers and hang them on the shower curtain rod in the laundry room to dry. Even if you just did one load a week this way—it’s still a savings!

Mind your Pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

The idea is to spend less than you make. It’s a lesson I’m slow at learning---but it’s coming back around for me!

***The last few days our internet has been off—yes! that’s right after last weeks post and mentioning having internet but no money for propane---the internet got bumped in the priorities list.  I knew it was coming, so after posting last weeks FRUGAL FODDER post…I scheduled another post to go up (the ‘simple’ word post) and while it looked like I was still connected to the cyber world…I wasn’t.  We are connected now. Did it kill us to go without internet for 7 days? No.   Does that make you look weird to other people?  No. Just different. Again, sometimes you have to decide what you are willing to live without.
Thank you everyone that contacted me about my email being compromised. That happened when I used someone’s SMART PHONE to check my email. I learned my lesson on that one.  I appreciate you having my back! :)
Hope everyone is off to a wonderful FRUGAL start in your new year!

The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But a wise man is he who listens to counsel. ~Proverbs 12:15

9 comments:

Revi said...

I was wondering where you were...glad to hear from you again. Kudos on the frugality and the self restraint. Working on it...
-Revi

Art and Sand said...

Growing up, we did not have a clothes dryer and it was my job to hang the clothes. I loved the smell when I took them down. Towels were a little stiff, but otherwise it was nicer. I don't dry most of my clothes, I hang them instead. I hadn't ever thought of it as a $$$ saver, just that my clothes last longer. Today Steve offered to do the laundry while i was at work and I said fine, but don't dry anything of mine.

Steve and I have long been proponents of living below your means. That is why I will be able to retire this year. We have friends who earn far more money than us, but they spend every cent, and then some.

Stay warm! It is expected to a record cold this weekend and have King tides that might cause flooding.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I've been using drying racks for over 14 years now. When I cannot put them outside, they are inside, on drying racks. I also have a short, expandable, 5 line, clothesline inside. It's in my utility room. I can put lighter items on it to dry also. I also dry mine in front of the wood stove or the corn/pellet burner. It sure saves on my electric bill.

Anonymous said...

I don't own a dryer. I dry everything on clothes racks, too. My uncle built me some, and I ordered a bigger one from Lehman's. I dry clothes for 5 people, plus baby diapers. :) On nice warm days, I hang them outside. Otherwise, they're on the racks. :)

dl@frugalhacks.com said...

Sunshine today means my racks will be heading back out to our small back deck. I still have not replaced my broken dryer and made it through our busy season when I am away from home most days just using my racks. You just may be convincing me not to replace mine!

Sandy said...

Good to see you here again.. picking
the things you need the most is something
we all go through from time to time.. but
I just have one sore spot within me,, I'm
so spoiled. How can you exist without an
electric clothes dryer.. really! I'd loose
my mind without that and a dish machine and
a garbage disposal. What does one do with all
the yucky garbage?
Yep, I'm spoiled!
So glad all is good.
Sandy

The Boston Lady said...

Well, I didn't know you were offline because I've been AWOL myself for a bit. I'd say I hang up a couple of loads a week myself, but I do use my dryer for towels, sheets and things I'm to lazy to iron. I will say that we went without a dryer the first two years we were married - I had the most colorful carport on the street in those days. My mother never had a dryer until we moved to Florida. I've gotten spoiled over the years, but I do also realize that clothes last longer when they haven't gone through the dryer over and over again. I always appreciate your frugal tips, Pat and I send you best wishes for the year ahead. Ann

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Funny--I have two of those in the basement. I use to use them in the winter. However, now I keep my thermostat on 64. That's not warm enough to actually "dry" the clothes.
So, yep, I do lots of stuff to save those pennies. My gas/electric bill is lower than anyone I know. :) Cable/internet on the other hand is out of sight. I just got off the phone with them trying to get my bill lowered. Save $20 :( I guess it all helps.
the good think about drying your clothes like this, is it adds humidity to the room. ;)
gail

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Hi Pat. I'm finally getting around to catching up on reading blogs again. I've been trying to get back into posting as well, and I tell ya, it seems to be post or read, but hardly am I able to do both and keep up! I still haven't bought a dryer since mine died a year ago. I have a drying rack I found at goodwill last year and need to remember to break it out and get in the habit of using it, especially on those rainy days! I am not sure I've noticed any difference in my electric bill without the dryer though, because the bill seems to have gone up even though I have no dryer and never have the lights on and hardly cook, etc. It has to be that blogging is sapping all the energy in the house! Ha! I think going without internet for seven days might save me a bundle of cash in that case. It's great that you were able to disengage from the internet for 7 days. It's nice to get a break and let the mind think and the body "do" without the computer screen sapping every last thought. Glad you were able to get your email straightened out too!
Liz