Right before we went on our little vacation to the Ozarks… I took a chance on changing my blog format up a bit. “working in the background”
The whole reason behind this was so that people, readers… perhaps YOU… could leave me a comment via your mobile device, iPad, Tablet, etc. I am linked with a company that pays me to use their mobile platform. So far…it’s working great! I’m getting paid for blogging! Yay! I’m hoping to share more on that in the near future.
However, there is one little problem—IF YOU read there YOU CAN’T comment there. I CAN’T EVEN COMMENT THERE! If you want to leave me an email—you have to use a regular desktop or laptop type computer to comment. I’m still working on it.
Today I removed DISQUS the *new comment widget I had added to my blog. I didn’t remove my profile or close my account to DISQUS… I only removed the widget from my blog. It didn’t do what I initially thought it would do and that is make my mobile readers COMMENTERS.
I asked you for feed back… many of you gave your honest heart felt opinions. I appreciate that so much.
Others of you couldn’t leave a comment to tell me your opinions… I would imagine, that was frustrating! Several of you emailed me to tell me the news!
JUST THIS MORNING:
The thing that really did it… was that my stats DROPPED WAY DOWN! Not just in comments but over all readers coming to the blog dropped.
PLEASE COME BACK! lol…
So here in a nutshell (IF YOU’RE INTERESTED) are my LIKES AND DISLIKES with DISQUS.
- Readers couldn’t comment easily – got lots of emails stating this
- Privacy- some people stated they didn’t want to sign up for another profile
- Password- some were asked for a password that WOULD NOT WORK
- Difficult for Readers/ Commenters to use.
- Ease of use (for me)
- Easy sign-in at the sight and others blogs that used DISQUS (for me)
- If you’re signed up with them… it’s EASY PEASY! NO PROBLEMS
- Easy Moderation w/ many options and ways to moderate (for me)
- Great Spam protection
- I had NO SPAM in 2 1/2 wks of use, if fact READERS COMMENTS DROPPED WAY DOWN TOO… NOT A LIKE!
- I like the THREADED VERSION of comments a lot better! (easy to follow conversations)
Disqus just wasn’t ‘approachable” for my readers and I always love the interaction you bring to my posts and I love reading your comments. I can’t read them—if there aren’t ANY! So after listening to my readers and the daily disappointment in the email box—I made the decision to “get out” now—2 1/2 wks into it.
- Did I give DISQUS a fair shake? No. Probably not.
- Did I correspond w/ DISQUS and send screenshots? No. I followed the FAQs, previous posts, etc.
- with that I was able to figure out so much good on the sight; installation, email changes, navigation, user name changes…total ease of use.
- Why the change in the first place? Mobile Platform…(see above) IT DID NOT.
- Still mobile users weren’t able to comment—so what was the point?
- I used the DISQUS ‘patch’ to edit my HTML on the template…THAT DID NOT WORK.
- When I decided to leave DISQUS—I read the FAQs again, and I knew there was a possibility I wouldn’t have your comments come back with me. I took a chance and I lost your comments from the past 2 1/2 weeks! NOT A LIKE!
- Oh, I have them—saved on the DISQUS site. But not on my blog.
In the end it was just better to go back.
MORAL OF THE STORY:
“if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.” … No. that’s not it. (cause mine was broke…on the mobile platform)
“If at first you don’t succeed… destroy all evidence that you tried.”
There you go…that’s it! Yes, I tried to fix it…but now your comments are gone. And well—nobody will ever know!
“LIVE AND LEARN!”
WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR YOU,DEAR READER? ::
‘Til next time, Be Blessed!
Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it. ~ Psalm 37: 3-5