Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Excuse me while I ponder...

As I was saying some time ago-

I am just trying to sort things out here in my corner of the world, now that the children are all grown and starting families with homes of their own.

Some days I sit and wonder...What am I doing? Why am I doing it? More so lately I'm thinking...What did I do before?

Before the children, before diapers, runny noses - nature walks, science projects, music lessons and training young-uns to be grown-ups.

What did I do?

Well,
I used to paint.
Nothing fancy - a T-shirt or a door mat, a bucket , a sign..
just whatever caught my fancy to paint.


Some days I was lucky enough to paint a whole room!

I'll show you in another post what I've painted recently.
(no, not another post about my workshop...well sort of, but INDIRECTLY)

I used to garden.
Nothing fancy- veggies. A few flowers and shrubs every now and again. It must be easy to grow as I don't have a very green thumb.
I love these daffodils. They hold special meaning to me now more than ever. One day I'll share that story.



One of the things I love, love, love about living in the country is the fresh cut field! It isn't time to mow yet... but this is our back pasture I love this picture...I love our place.
It is important that we take care of it.

I used to cook.
REALLY BIG MEALS.
On a one income budget. (God has blessed us with so much)
Nothing fancy- Enough to feed the whole household. (5 growing kiddos and sometimes their friends)

One of the hardest things for me now a days is modifying my favorite recipes and making less for Honey and Myself.
Being good stewards to what we've been given.

I made this big skillet of 'Chicken Tetrazzini' in the oven tonight, fortunately my son-in-law (next door) didn't mind having some for supper and his lunch tomorrow.


I used to crochet.
Nothing fancy- doilies, baby blankets, afghans, dish-towels and dish cloths.
Things to make our home inviting.

Yesterday, I was inspired by Sandy at Teacup Lane to crochet again. While at WM with Honey I splurged and bought $1.47 hook and a small skein of variegated yellow cotton thread and came home and googled the web for some patterns. I found this really cute "DISH MOP" pattern and made it.

I had to modify it, cause I ran out of thread. But it is for washing dishes...
It'll work.



So any way... WHILE I was wondering all this it occurred to me- I can still do those things.
I must prioritize some things now, and
there must be balance.
As with ALL THINGS there must be balance.

But I can still do them.
I can do them to the Glory of God!

This is just another stage I am going through...this self-searching.
Discovering who I am in Christ
now with so much time on my hands, yet so much to be done.

I'll leave you with these words, not mine ...God's

Whether ,then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the Glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:13





5 comments:

Prior said...

HEy, I had a new grand baby plus felt like the Lord was telling me to spend my time more wisely, so I come here and get another verse. lol. LOVED your post. Lezlee

julie said...

I left behind a lot of thingss that I use to do. Mainly because I just don't want to or I just simply don't have the energy.
I do have a lot of little treasures that I work on still and I do love that.
I do laugh at myself when I hurt myself. Have to. It helps the healing. So you can laugh, I don't mind. Have a geat day...julie

Kolein said...

Amen, Sister!!!! Lovely! I enjoyed going down memory lane with you. Can I have your field? I'll mow it for ya! I will. After I eat some of that there tetra thingy that has me salivated all over the keyboard! Can you share the recipe? Please!

Megan said...

Hi there! Found you by way of Kim at Daisy Cottage. Well I must say I certainly relate to this post. I too am an empty-nester--with all them grown and off to greener pastures and lower home-owners insurance rates. I will be "retired" in one week--and I am looking forward to spending some time doing those things I didn't have time for during all the busy years. Enjoy rediscovering those forgotten pursuits.

Sandy said...

I just saw your nice comments on my blog and came over to see where you referenced my blog. I missed your post because I do follow your blog and I don't know how I did. But I am so glad that I inspired you to take up some of your interests - like crocheting. We (women) are so busy taking care of others that we do forgot or neglect to take care of our needs too. I took up crocheting (the 3rd time!) when I retired. When I tried to do it while working something would always happened that I would put it down and not take it up again. I had long commutes when we lived in Chicago and long working hours after we moved east (but I was luckily to be a teleworker - work from home after moving from Chicago). Now I have the time for crochet and I find it very relaxing and enjoyable. The once thing I haven't done in years is play my clarinet and oboe and one of these days I hope to. And I would like to fit sewing in too. Even retired there aren't enough hours in a day to do it all. And to answer your question - yes, I have made the crocheted dish towels. The first time and second time crocheting that is about all I did. Now I am branching out a little more. I went to a fancy yarn store the other day and they had yarn that was $25. I just can't spend that much at least not until I am better at crocheting. I buy my yarn at Michaels (cotton - sugar n' cream mostly). If you work smaller project they won't take as much yarn. I like your cute kitchen scrubber - love the yellow and white. Take care and have fun crocheting.

Teacup Lane (Sandy)