Friday, June 3, 2011

Ever Have one of those days? Our First Day Home~

Today was our first Full day home from the Hospital. 

Honey didn't sleep well last nite-- and when he finally did sleep, we were awakened abruptly be some bed slats snapping!  He wanted to sleep in the guest bedroom his first night home.  He didn't say why, but he didn't want to sleep in our own bed.  So I agreed.  
But that all changed about 2 am. SNAP! SNAP! 

Musical beds! 
We finally finished out the rest of sleep in our own bed. But he just didn't sleep well.  He woke up at 6 am-- and watched news on the TV and internet.  
Unbeknown to me ... He went outside to water the garden while I was still sleeping!  
I fussed at him for going outside without me. 
He gets really tired-- 
That is another story. 

So for today-- 
*I unpacked our bag from the hospital and sorted laundry. 
My youngest daughter had done 2 loads at her house before we came home.  So I had that to put away as well. 
*Honey's brother came over and repaired the slats on the bed and made sure that nothing would come apart again... guess we're sleeping in the guest bedroom again. 

*I pulled more beets from the garden.  
*Cooked and cleaned and froze them.  Yay! 
*I also went out to the Potager--- my poor garden. 
My daughter had tried so hard to keep up with it... but in the end; it looks like we are being over-run with GRASSHOPPERS!!! 

This evening-- we (*edited to say:  with the help of my grand-daughter 2 yrs. old) dug up all the potatoes. (Honey sat in a chair with the hose watering everything else while sitting)   I had a small portion from one corner of that bed -- they were eaten by something, I think ANTS!   There were little tiny holes in the potatoes. 

All the rest were in pretty good shape.  I think I got about 20 to 30 pounds.  Not too bad  for a $1.50 worth of seed potatoes.   I have a wicker laundry basket full!   I would have probably had more but the grasshoppers made a meal of the leaves on the plants and I just don't think they would have grown anymore.  So better to cut my losses I figure.  

Our tomato plants are full of TOMATOES.  I hope that they vine ripen before the grasshoppers get those.  Do you have any suggestions for getting rid of those pesky bugs?  

I also picked some squash, okra, and a couple of handfuls of green beans. Oh~ and I also picked several ELEPHANT GARLIC that had come ready while away.  I hung that on the front porch to dry.  Looks like we're warding off vampires or something!  LOL..

For supper we had green beans and potatoes boiled on the stove with a little pepper (NO SALT) and Boneless Pork chops (NATURALLY SALTY) cooked on the 'george forman TYPE grill' (WITH NO SALT sprinkled instead with garlic powder, oregano and sliced onion for seasoning)  and whole wheat rolls  and Iced tea.  (WE'VE GOT TO CHANGE OUR EATING HABITS! CAN YOU TELL I'M REALLY TRYING HERE?!?!) 

Honey ate really well.  His appetite is way down-- since being in the hospital he doesn't eat as much as he used too.  He absolutely hated the food in the hospital.  I guess I've got less of an appetite too-- we actually shared a boneless chop and had about 3 1/2 oz. each.  They look to be about 7 or 8 oz chops.  

Funny how you don't realize what you can actually LIVE OFF OF eating to survive and not eating to pacify or satisfy. While in the hospital -- I fasted some meals.  Some of it was out of concern for Honey, nervousness and being sustained by the Lord.  But not fasting on a deeply spiritual basis. I just didn't think about eating that often. 

I did some other things mostly 'PAPER WORK'  and made phone calls. 
We have appointments to make, Dr's to see, and tons of paperwork to fill out... there is a lot of headache stuff to deal with. 

That is the hard part of the job.  Taking care of my husband; wound-care, exercise, bathing--- (helping him due to balance and physical impairment) that is all easy
Let's just say-- 
I wouldn't make a very good secretary! 

Do not grow weary in well doing for in due season you will reap a harvest if do not give up. 
Galatians 6:9  

(I think that is the new international-american standard-king james version.... I'm too tired cross reference....) 

Non-Sequitur photo to follow: 

Moon over Cedar Creek Lake

God Bless you and Thanks for reading! 

linked here- 
Farm Girl Friday-- blog-hop#10 


Funky Junk Interiors said...

Well, I'm sure glad you didn't end up waking up on the floor in the AM! Yikes. :)

I'll keep you both in my prayers.


Granny said...

Please don't overdo it working in the gardens now that you're home. You've both been through so much the past couple of weeks that it will take time to get over the hospital stay. I'm keeping you both in my prayers.

michelle said...

Oh no, so sorry about the bed, I hope that you both get some better rest tonight. I am glad that you have some help and take care of you too my dear.
You are both in my continued prayers.

Coleen's Corner said...

So glad to hear Honey is home... that alone should help speed up his recovery. Life will definitely be different for you now, but the changes you'll have to make will benefit you both. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kolein said...

Maybe Honey needs to feel like a guest for a while...until he's all healed and feeling more like he can run the place again! Either way, I surely hope he is able to sleep at night or at least take naps to get the rest he needs. I hope you are sleeping and resting too - when you can.

I will continue to pray for you both and your family!


Teresa said...

Certainly sounds like you have your hands full. I hope your Honey continues to recover. Don't forget to take care of yourself. That's very important right now also.

Boho Farm and Home said...

I am so sorry to hear about this but am overjoyed to know your husband is home. It is hard in the beginning, my dad had a quad. a few years back and it took awhile for him to be comfortable sleeping. God is going to give you everything you need! Blessings to you! xo Caroline