…And the chickens out.
I don’t know if you can tell or not; but the fence around my garden has two size holes…there is a 4 inch square hole on the bottom of this fence and a 2 X 4 inch slotted holes at the top. My chickens were making a salad out of the Brussels Sprouts…so I flipped my fence over last week.
This is before the switch. They’re able to stick half their bodies ALMOST completely in through that fence.
Now I’ve got the small slots at the bottom and I have supports fastened better. I added the supports last year when the grass hoppers were so bad and I put TULLE over the top to keep them out. That worked really well. But this year I’m ready for them- I’VE GOT CHICKENS!
Plus, I added these two small boxes on this side.
Can you tell what they are or were? I’ve repurposed Box fans!
They quit working last year and I kept them and decided to use them for planter boxes. I’ve got chicken wire over the tops of them right now. But I am going to have to beef them up especially once they start growing. I think the reason it’s called ‘chicken wire’ is because my chickens got right on top and squished the little cages down, right off the bat~ I was too busy shoo-ing them off with a cup towel – to snap a picture.
One has radishes and the other has carrots planted in them. We’ll see how well they grow.
I’m finding it is much easier to fence my garden ‘IN’ than fence my chickens ‘IN’… so I guess you can say I’m fencing my chickens ‘OUT’ of the gardens.
I’ll have more on that later. I’ve done some more repurposing and fenced around the potager. I’ll post it later in the week.
Homestead Revival barn hop
An Oregon Cottage
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.