Monday, December 30, 2013

:: Reflecting and Anticipation ::

The year is coming to an end and while we’re all posting about our top posts, accomplishments, activity, projects and so forth.
I think we all begin thinking about the new year too.
The plans, the ideas, putting the past behind us and moving forward.

I for one am ready to start gardening again~~

Pretty soon—it will be time to get the plants started and in the ground. Hopefully, we’ll be able to get some veggies out of the garden before the hoards of grasshoppers …swoop down and invade the beds like the marauders that they are.  I’d love to be able to grow some groceries and eat them before the grasshoppers do!

grasshopper marauder
 
It’s pretty funny though…because it could go a couple of ways with the garden and the weather. We can start getting the beds ready right now…in the winter, prepping the soil and mulching, etc. Waiting patiently for warmer days and just the right time and put the seeds into the ground.

Return potatoes

Or…we can pray for a really hard freeze and hope that the grasshoppers eggs are frozen, and never see the light of day;
While we are growing little tender shoots of goodness under a heat lamp!

Oh, there is so much to look forward to in the new year.
It seems like I have a list as long as my arm of everything I want to do and  accomplish.
I see areas where I've missed opportunity this year and failed at many things. Though really, I think I've gained experience; justifiably that isn't failing, right?

Once it really begins to warm up …
listen to me talking about warming up, like it will happen any day now. (this week’s weather is promising to be so cold! brrrr!!!)

But, once it does warm—I’ll be outside, chasing children, chickens, dogs; pulling weeds, planting plants, painting trim or rafters or decking.
I won’t be inside doing all that needs to be done in there,no.  I am so torn in the Spring time between my chores outdoors and my chores indoors.

So for that, I am longing to hold onto the cold just a little longer. It goes SO against my nature to say that. I’m a warm weather person. My creaky-arthritic-body tells me so!

The days of the calendar may flip and the YEAR will begin anew---
the counting down will begin all over again!
But, if the weather hangs on just a tad longer—before letting the precious shoots come out of the ground…

Viking sewing machine pm

Maybe-JUST MAYBE…I can DO some things inside that are so over due! 

I don’t have big plans. Just little things that I’d like to tinker around with that would hopefully, all add up in the end.
Simple things to do that would make life less stressful. Organize a room. Clear out some STUFF!   Things that get put aside when I’m outside in the yard.

I especially want to take time for loved ones this coming  year.  Remember to call or even write them; remember birthdays and anniversaries.
Sharing meals with my kids and gathering for fun times together more often.

I want to spend more time in God’s word—reading it, memorizing it, sharing it with those around me. Growing closer everyday with Him. Giving my days to him; my cares, regrets and hopes and dreams all to Him.

How about you are you excited about the new year?  Do you have something you’re looking forward to doing in the coming days and months?
Big plans, small plans…are you hopeful about things?  Maybe you are just looking forward to more family time, retirement, and relaxing days ahead.
How do you plan for those days?  Because all of that sounds nice too!

Til next time, Be Blessed!



Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men,knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. ~Colossians 3:23-24

8 comments:

Leslie said...

There are lots of inside jobs that I need to do too ~ like now, I really should be cleaning up as I sit here doing nothing. : ) There is something about the new year that makes me want to clean, organize and start out fresh. Happy 2014 ~ you'll be in the garden before you know it!

Diane said...

It can be hard to get indoor and outdoor tasks done at the same time. As the saying goes: the work will be there when you get to it, right? Personally, I don't have too many New Year's chores lined up. It's the people I live with who need to clean out!!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

New Years , sigh. Diet and exercise. I have diverticulitis and when it flares up I don't eat and lose lots of weight. It hasn't flared up lately sooooo, I need to lose a few pounds! More than a few. I guess I'll start on that.

Rhonda said...

I am excited about a new year and hoping to have a better year. 2013 was difficult with husbands 2 surgeries and busy with 5 grands under 4. But I am so optimistic that 2014 will be nothing but good, hope it is for you too.

Claudia said...

I have a lot of organizing and sorting to be done - which I am, of course, putting off. In this climate, I know the winter will hang on for a good while and that's perfect. I'm planning on handquilting my quilt while Don is away in February and March.

xo
Claudia

A Daughter of the King said...

Pat, your blog is so enjoyable to read! I am never disappointed with the time I spend here. God bless you and your projects, inside and out!

Unknown said...

I don't have too many New Year's chores lined up. It's the people I live with who need to clean out!! have a lot of organizing and sorting to be done - which I am, of course, putting off. In this climate, I know the winter will hang on for a good while and that's perfect. There is something about the new year that makes me want to clean, organize and start out fresh. Happy 2014 ~ you'll be in the garden before you know it!

Regards,
Kopi Luwak

My Repurposed Life said...

I have small plans for the new year....I think I can stick to small plans. Big plans always fall through for me. :(

I look forward to cold days where I am forced indoors to get some much needed cleaning done. :) So I totally understand where your'e coming from.

gail