Friday, January 10, 2014

:: Staying Warm and Staying Busy::

So Monday and Tuesday we awoke to some really cold temps for East Texas.  It was 16° both mornings. 

We also awoke with no HOT or Cold water in the shower. No Hot at the bathroom sink.  Yuck! 
I wasn’t happy about that.  But by Tuesday afternoon the water broke loose and Honey went out to check the meter and make sure there were no leaks.

I’m happy to report—no pipes burst!  Yay!   We have wrapped the pipes pretty well we thought a few years ago—but again, we just haven’t gotten this cold in a while.

We’ve stayed pretty warm.  We have to wear a sweater inside—or layer our shirts at least.  That is just how it is when you live in an old drafty house.
Dress Warm.
Cook food that warms you up on the inside;  and stay busy!

I spent Monday learning to knit!  I’ve never learned this.  I’ve pretty much taught myself to crochet and I find it to be much easier.  Yesterday, with the help of Youtube and some a cooperative grandbaby--- I was able to pick up knitting pretty easy.

 To Knit

It isn’t perfect. I can certainly see my mistakes and the ugly spots… but hey, I wasn’t going to rip it out. I just wasn’t.

Instead I stitched the ends together and made a coozie for my coffee mug!

 to knit coozie

I used it this morning!  My mug is insulated but with the chill in the house, I thought it might help to keep the coffee nice and hot.  Later, when I drank some tea with supper, I put it on my glass and it kept my fingers from getting cold when I held my cup.

It’s the little things in life you know?  that make me smile.  :) 

Do you knit?  Are you learning something new? 

From The Farm Blog Hop


Til next time, Be Blessed!



So teach us to number our days. That we may present to thee a heart of Wisdom. ~ Psalm 90:12

11 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

I learned to knit first, but I like crocheting far better!
I'm so glad your pipes didn't burst, Pat.

Diane said...

Good for you! I can do very basic knitting. Just made myself a new scarf, and, boy, have I needed it lately!

My Repurposed Life said...

I did knit for about a year way back when. I have never crocheted. My mom and sister could crochet in their sleep.
learn something new? I should do that, but I just don't have the time currently. Maybe I should just DO something new, something different.... I think I'm in a rut.

Heard y'all are warming up today! we are too, but slowly. Hoping tomorrow to be able to work on a project outside. woohooo! not bad for January.

take care Patricia!
gail

holli said...

I learned how to knit when i was in junior high over a summer and never did it again. That was over 30 yrs ago. I am so impressed you taught yourself how to do that from youtube! It is the little things for sure and i bet that cute cozy made the coffee taste even better. I should give it a whirl this year. You've inspired me :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Good for you- I should have had my mom show me more when she was here at Christmas. I can knit straight things but I'm really bad at counting and keeping the right number of stitches on the needle! You'll be great at it.

Art and Sand said...

My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 14. When we were first married I made a lot of sweaters, but I don't find much time to knit these days. I have a baby sweater I have been working on for over a year that I need to finish.

Keep it up and you will find you don't make many errors.

Laura said...

Down in our part of Texas it only got in the high 30's. I would have fainted if it dropped to 16.
Yikes!
Now to the knitting-

I know how to crochet, but I have never learned to knit.

I am obsessed with learning how.

There aren't any local classes around here, so I guess I need to try youtube.

Knitting seems much harder.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Sunny Simple Life said...

Love that mug cozy. I bought one for my girl with an owl for Christmas. Cause this girl cannot knit or sew. Please feel free to always share your posts at the hop on Fridays Pat. http://www.sunnysimplelife.com/

Revi said...

You go, Pat! Knitting is on my list, too. :)

A Daughter of the King said...

You are an amazing and inspiring woman, Pat!

Audrey said...

I never learned to knit or crochet, but I admire people who can. My Mon and Sister crocheted all the time. Glad that you are learning. Looks like you have a good start. Stay warm.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures