Tuesday, December 7, 2010

While my Computer was Away...

I got the green monster back today! 


AND!...much to my chagrin ...life did NOT stop while I had no computer! 

Here is just a quick sample of some of the things that took place in the week while my PC was off having a makeover! 

I'm getting my feet wet in the upholstery dept with this little Italian Chair before I take on the Settee and Chair... (I'm a little nervous!)  
 
Dug this chair out of a collection of furniture that used to be in my daughters room when they lived at home. It was very loose in the joints, squeaky, creaky; chipped and dirty.  I'll be showing that make over hopefully by the weekend. 
******************************************************
We had a visitor. 
 Love this majestic looking bird. They've persevered in my lifetime... 
the blue heron otherwise known as a  crane   Help me out here, can you tell if my bird is a Great Blue Heron or a Crane. Evidently, I've misunderstood this bird my whole life.  I just now am learning they are in fact TWO DIFFERENT TYPES OF BIRDS.  (Sorry for this diversion didn't mean to make this an Ornithology post)   This fella was in my back pasture last week when the weather was warm. He flew towards the neighbors when he saw me.  I suspect he hangs around for the pond next door and on the land behind us. Honey says there are fish in both. 

He actually stands taller, but he saw me coming with my camera and hunkered down before flying off. 
I guess he is shy. 
 ***********************************************************
I stopped by the Resource Center the day I went to drop off the computer.  I don't get to that side of the lake often I was glad to get to shop. I picked up a few items. 

 I snagged these much needed casserole lids-- .75 cents for the both of them!  I also got this really cool Red Wood 2 tiered dish.  Not sure what exactly I'll be using it for; but I'm sure it will come in handy over the holidays... 


I'm replacing my dishes with USED Corel.  Honey doesn't like stoneware - 'Too heavy', he says. 
So instead of spending a fortune on a brand new set of dishes, I'm picking them up practically for pennies at resale shops! 

Over the Thanksgiving weekend my aunt brought me 10 dinner plates she picked up in her neck of the woods. She promised they weren't a big purchase.  

 I bought these 4 bowls and saucers for about .44 cents each ($3.50 for 8 pcs.) on my trip last week. 
 ***********************************************************
 I also had some time to try my hand at  re-purposing clothing items.  Honey 'blew the pants'... ripped them right near the pocket!  The second pair in about 3 weeks!  So I used the legs, coin/watch pocket, and zipper to make a dress for my grand-daughter.  I'll show you more pictures later. I think it turned out cute! 
This is not a picture of the 'blown' pants. This is after I already started cutting them. I didn't incorporate that printed pocket; but thought how cool it would be to do that. 

Lastly, I wanted to tell you.  We went to Dallas on Saturday -- I took 3 boxes of homeschool books to **Half Price Books and got $28!  I was really surprised.  I've never sold books to them before so I was wanting to try it out and see how it worked.  I was pleased. I had already told Honey I was taking whatever they offered because I wasn't lugging those books back to the country. May as well get something for them. 

After we left **Half Price Books we went to **Hancock's Fabrics-- I just wanted to price some of the materials needed for my upcoming Upholstery project.  I wound up getting my foam for my Settee and Chair; it was on sale 40 % off!  I was so excited.  I also bought some cord for piping.  


I spent $83.53 for 3 inch foam for my couch and my chair cushions and bought 3 packs of cord.  The foam for the couch alone was 'regularly priced'  $89.99. 
All in all I spent for my whole purchase what  ONE piece of foam would have cost! 

My pc didn't end up costing anything but labor too.  The hard-drive was under warranty so it was replaced for FREE 
AND!!!!! 
 When I went to pick it up today- the new memory stick wasn't there yet -- but since I had just put new memory in about 3 weeks ago and it was the wrong speed (but new) they just let me trade for what they already ordered.  So that didn't cost extra.  I only had to pay for LABOR.  YAY! 

All these savings are going to come in handy too; because on Saturday before coming home from Dallas-- we were in a minor fender bender.  (We're fine and no one was injured in either vehicle) 
It was the other drivers fault so hopefully we won't have any out of pocket on that. 

In a nutshell... 
that's my week! 

God Bless you 
and 
Thanks for reading! 




**I am not receiving any monies from either Hancock's Fabrics or Half Price Books for telling you about their great deals. These are just my personal opinions and thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

6 comments:

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

wow, you had a very full week! When you get a chance check out my Laundry room subway art. I used a sharpie marker to make it, after reading your post about the guy with the sharpie decorated basement! It worked out pretty good, and was a whole lot easier than trying to paint it!

Coleen's Corner said...

My goodness - you've been busy! After reading about your computer disaster, I have to wonder what's up. My hard drive failed... under warranty didn't cost to replace it - and I know someone else who lost a hard drive too. Hmm. Quality must not be as it should be these days?? So glad you're back : )

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! busy week, so glad no one was hurt!
can't wait to see you upholstery!
I love corel!
gail

Lindy said...

That chair looks interesting even from the bottom! Can't wait to see what you do to it!

Jane said...

What a busy, productive week! Sometimes I think I need to take a break from my computer so I can get some things accomplished....but I have a hard time not reading all of the great blogs!
Jane

Prior said...

Love the two tiered tray. I started my married life with Corelle, loved it but not much left. So glad y'all weren't hurt! Lezlee