Thursday, March 28, 2013

::Frankoma Pottery::

This is one of the pieces of pottery I showed you on Tuesday. 


I bought all these pieces, for my birthday, at a flea market near us...for the total of $10.00 
YES! But the 'ugly' blue vase,  I felt like was worth the money,
especially when the nice lady in the booth said all her items were 50% off!!! 

How could I turn down a piece of $5.00 Frankoma?! 
Even if it DID have damage. 

Before last Sunday, I'd never even heard of Frankoma Pottery.
Having walked around the flea market for almost an hour; and turning over figurines, bowls, vases ...I think I picked up at least 2 other pieces and saw 2 other identical figurines, that were Frankoma. 
So, quite naturally when I saw this piece...I knew I was going to buy it. Even when TH tried to dissuade me...by pointing out that it was broken. 

There is a broken piece on the handle...glued in two places. 


Also, there is a broken piece on the rim. 

It is called a 'Large Ringed Vase'...it has a leaf pattern on the two handles. 

Below is the inside view of the broken rim. Some one has taken the time to save the pieces and glue them back together. 


It is about 11" tall. 
I'm pretty sure it is NOT turquoise. 
I know it IS turquoise...but NOT originally. 

I believe it has been spray painted. 
Who spray paints pottery? 

I know silly question. 
I see people spray painting pottery, figurines, etc. ALL. THE. TIME. in blog-land. 

 And no. This is not some priceless, PRE-Columbian... IRREPLACEABLE  piece of pottery.
It is just a piece of pottery, possibly made in or around the early 1940's...
...and Red Glazed! :) 
Red is a good thing. 

I'm busy looking for a Pottery Restoration Co. that can correct all these flaws; and hopefully restore it to it's original state. It will be so lovely when it's finished. 

Do you have any experience getting pottery restored? 
Would you have paid $5 for a broken piece of pottery...worth about 10 times as much? 
Would you pay to have it repaired? 

I'm really just curious. 
I've never done anything like this before and I'm not what you would call an avid collector. 







For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son; that whosoever believes in Him, should not perish; but have everlasting life. ~John 3:16


 

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

No-I haven't ever had anything repaired before (pottery that is). I would buy it if I loved it though. Do you think they can repair it so the breaks won't show? I think it is an interesting piece-xo Diana

Art and Sand said...

The color is great. I have some favorite pieces that have been broken over the years. But I say, if you love the piece then keep it and fix it.

I am so excited that we have a flea market in town this weekend.

Kim Campbell said...

I would by a repaired piece. Especially if it got me a piece I wouldn't normally be able to afford and I loved it enough. I ' m in it for the hunt andreward!!!

My Repurposed Life said...

I would definitely have paid $5, but not sure I would ever look into restoring it... I didn't know there was such a thing.
did you see on the news last week about that bowl? sat on a mantel for years, then had it appraised? in the end auctioned for MILLIONS!
if only.....

Happy Easter Patricia!

gail

Revi said...

I'd have paid five if it had no flaws...but I'm a real cheapskate who just depends on other people not knowing the value of something. I know, I know...but that's why I don't often shop at antique malls or stores. I get down and dirty and hope to find a treasure in the really junky places! I've never checked into having something repaired. Either I embrace a flaw, or I don't buy a piece that has one. Somewhere there is rationale there, but don't ask me what the line is - it seems to be blurry.
-Revi

Sunny Simple Life said...

Lovely colors. Like Easter eggs. Okay did you get 6 new chicks? I have missed something I think. I must see all chick blogs asap.

ain't for city gals said...

I love frankhoma...would love to have a set of dishes called wagon wheel or something like that. all the dishes are lovely I think...I might have bought the broken piece but would not pay to have it repaired...I would just enjoy it as is.