Friday, May 31, 2013

::Drop-Off Dogs ::

In February...we lost our favorite mutt, Gracie in a freak accident.
She was a favorite...


born here, the pup of a VERY PREGNANT stray that had been dropped off; we found homes for all of them including the mom. We had Gracie for about 8 years. 


T.H. and I have been talking...and agreed that we won't be getting anymore dogs after Trouble is gone...

Since February...our boxer "Trouble" has been lonely. She is top dog now...and fully lives up to her name. We got Trouble when my daughter adopted her right after graduating high school.  ALSO about 8 years ago. She was a POUND PUPPY--- the Pound waived the adoption fee and they paid for  SPAYING Trouble too... because she was dropped off  pregnant at the pound;My daughter adopted her and took the pups until they weaned and returned them to the pound for adoption --with the terms mentioned previously. 

After a few years of living away, my daughter brought her back here while she lived next door -- we ended up keeping her after they moved into their new house. Because well, she's 10 years old now...and this is her home. 

But she gets lonely. 


THAT ALL CHANGED MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND! 


Meet "Buster"

Another drop-off  dog. 


We woke up Saturday and didn't notice him until after noon sometime. 
He has a problem with his back leg. Not sure if it's sprained or what ...it's not swollen, he doesn't cry or wince like he has pain. Probably needs an X-ray. 
I really don't have the money for a vet visit right now.  

We did get his puppy shots from the feed store and gave those to him. 
As soon as the county has their Once-A-Month clinic...I can get him his $8 rabies shot...

Now we're saving up for Neutering... ssshhh! 
Don't tell BUSTER. 



He took to us right away... 


Trouble doesn't seem to mind him being around either. He helps her to get a little bit of exercise in the yard. However, She gets a little testy around the food bowl; but he'll learn his place. 

Yes... we're keeping him. 


Look at that face! 

He doesn't know his name yet... but, he will "get it" and bring "It" back... with a tennis ball or a stick!
That was only after a couple of sessions with him.

FYI: we checked the little 'mom and pop' gas station for any postings for a missing dog in the area. 
But, I'm pretty sure he's a drop-off dog.  That is what people do out here... they find a yard with toys in it...and drop the dog off in the dark of night; In hopes that some little child will find the pup and not be able to resist keeping it.  I can't help but wonder if BUSTER'S leg was injured in the drop off... our TOSS OUT.  
I told T.H. ... I'd be afraid to see what happens if we had a sign out front that said : 

Oma's and Honey's No Kill Shelter

We'd have more dogs than you could shake a stick at! 


*** I don't mean for this to be a PSA... 
but people please Spay and Neuter your pets.
It's raining Cats and Dogs out there! 

afavoritething




Draw near unto the LORD and He will draw near unto you. ~ James 4:8

18 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

HIs little face is just precious.

I understand exactly what you are going through because people used to drop off dogs in the country when I was growing up. And farmers who can't feed them had no other option back then but to put them down themselves. SO sad. There wasn't a pound. We had several drop off dogs who made wonderful friends, and your little guy is just precious. I'm so glad you decided to keep him. Hope his leg gets better, and yes, they probably tossed him out and sped off. The creeps! We had someone do that to us one evening when we were walking the lake years ago. They dumped the cutest little white dogs who my cats despised. We eventually found him a home, but he ate our screen porch and was a veitable destructo unit. We kept him and adopted him out through the SPCA because they had home volunteer shelters at the time.

XO,

Sheila

My Repurposed Life said...

awww, buster is a cutie! :) you're good people!

gail

The Bashful Nest said...

Buster is a cutie, I wish someone would drop us off a dog. We lost our dogs a few years ago and the house still seems too empty. Hope he brings you much joy.
Michelle. thebashfulnest.blogspot.com

NanaDiana said...

Oh- He is adorable. How could you resist THAT face?!! It will give some company to his big "brother". I grew up on a farm in PA and people around knew that my father had a kind heart. I can't tell you how many drop offs we had and took in. We loved them all- xo Diana

Art and Sand said...

He is adorable and deserves a good home.

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

I can't imagine my life without a dog in it.

S
xo

Diane said...

He's really cute. Our Coonhound was a drop-off at a farm too. The farmer had too many and brought her to a shelter where we adopted her. I would love to live out in the country, but this proves nothing is perfect; I would hate that part of it. Would make me mad and sad at the same time-- and the owner of dozens of cats and dogs! Good luck with Buster!

gardenbug said...

We have three drop off cats. Also we are baby-sitting another cat for a month. We have a large dog...not a drop-off.

It angers me the dumb things people do. Putting a box of kittens at a country mail box is asking for their demise...whether by cars and trucks or by foxes etc...

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

He is so stinkin' cute!!!! :)

Claudia said...

Oh my goodness - he is ADORABLE! Pat, you know my heart is melting at this very moment. I'm so glad you were the family that found that little guy. Why people do that kind of thing is something I will never understand. When I lived in San Diego, people used to dump unwanted dogs in the canyons. It made me furious. I rescued more than a few of those guys.

Congratulations! And thanks so much for joining in this week.

xo
Claudia

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

That is one cute puppy face! I am now following your blog from MHC and look forward to reading more :-)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What an adorable face! I'm glad he found a new home but drop off dogs make me so sad! You are some good people!!

Anonymous said...

Buster has a sweet, darling face. Thank you for taking him in, Pat! I will never understand how people dump pets that depend on them to survive. It's cruel. As a retired veterinarian, I so appreciate your rescuing the little innocent.
I will pray for dear Buster to have a speedy and uneventful healing of his back leg.

Melanie said...

He has such a sweet face! We get the drop offs here too, makes me angry! Don't appreciate others dropping off their moral and financial obligations for me to deal with!!! Glad that Buster has a home with you!

Cindy said...

I completely agree with spaying and neutering dogs and cats, oh my, there are more than enough to go around and your animal will settle down, too.
Your puppy is adorable, what a sweet face. That probably happens more in the country, folks possibly think that country folk are more likely to keep an animal. I know we would if we lived in an area like yours.
Have a good week!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Oh, how sweet! You ole softie, you! That is a face you could fall in love with. I also adore that first shot of your daughter with Gracie. Well, life will be interesting in the days to come, that's for sure, right?
Liz

lala said...

Buster looks like a real sweetie! I am sure he and Trouble will become best buds in no time. How lucky for both of them to have "found" you!

RHome410 said...

Oh, Buster is ADORABLE. We have 2 dogs, and one, we know, is about at the end of her line... Mostly blind, mostly deaf, covered in those fatty tumors, and not too stable on her feet these days. But if/when Millie goes, we still have Rosie, our 5 yr old lab, who needs a friend. Hubby is saying no more dogs, but I can imagine that Rosie will only get into trouble, or just get fat and unhealthy without a companion. She needs her 'pack,' and people don't always do it. Younger dogs are great for keeping older dogs exercised, healthy, and much happier. That was so obvious when Millie was alone for a couple years until we got Rosie. She looked like a young pup herself with someone to run with.