Thursday, May 30, 2013

:: The Broccoli Bed--Bolting ::


I wanted to show you the small patch of broccoli that I grew this year.
In previous years, I've grown broccoli...but started in the winter months, late winter and grew the broccoli during the spring and was finished by the time the heat set in here in Texas.

This photo the broccoli are leaning a bit...I took this after a rain storm and the wind...tilted my broccoli! I fairly certain I should plant a little deeper next time. 


This year however, I didn't get my broccoli in the ground until the Spring; and while we had a nice cool, rainy spring... we did have some warm days and the broccoli began bolt.

If you're unfamiliar with what bolting is, plain and simple--- it begins flowering and using the energy  it has to make seeds for the next generation of plants.

All broccoli is, when you buy it in the produce stands are flower heads without the blooms.  Now, typically when I'm growing broccoli I leave it alone after the the first few cuttings and the plant makes off shoots of broccoli. I'm able to cut those and eat them.

This year, due to the heat, I just didn't get that many heads of broccoli.


 This is what the broccoli looked like after it began flowering... It just continued to grow out and become a little bit leggy.


Never fear. I learned this year that while you're out in your garden harvest veggies for a salad;  go ahead and pinch off a few of these flowers and throw them in the salad too! Or... just pinch them off and eat them!

They taste just like broccoli!


Once the flowers are gone...the plant puts off seed pods 


 Not sure what this little orange and black bug is...but I'm pretty sure he is the one that made all the holes in the leaves... munching away on my broccoli. I didn't even know I got a picture of it... actually, that is my knee in the background...Bree, my junior gardener, must have taken this one. 
You just never know with that girl!!! :) 


I'm getting ready to harvest these broccoli seeds. I'll be saving them for the fall! 
I found a way to do this, I'm hoping to give it a try. 
You just place a paper sack over the seed pods tie it off with a string or rubber band, once dried you just cut it loose and give it a shake...the seeds fall right into the bag! 
easy peasy! 

Linking here: 

circa 2011 The ORIGINAL Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop







Draw near unto the LORD and He will draw near unto you. ~ James 4:8

 

9 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I got a few florets before my broccoli bolted. The winter was too warm and we had almost no spring!

NanaDiana said...

I wish I had some fresh broccoli- Would you believe I have never grown it? xo Diana

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We've had crazy weather and our collards are bolting! Last year one overwintered, this year it went from freezing to hot.

Diane said...

Years ago my dad tried growing broccoli-- didn't have much luck here. Too bad too-- one of the few green veggies I like!

Revi said...

It's hard to know what's up from year to year. I'd love to be out of the drought and intense heat we've had for the past two years. I like the idea of eating the flowers in your salad! :)
-Revi

Corinna @ The Sweet Spot Blog said...

For some reason, I am really bad at growing vegetables, but great at growing seeds! They are not good to eat, but I find the flowering plants beautiful.

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

I have never grown broccoli so this was interesting! :)

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

I have just discovered your blog and I love it! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back! Nicole

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Great idea about getting the seeds from the seed pod. Love hearing your "growing" stories.
Liz