Monday, July 2, 2012

Pie Filling: Zucchini


For the past couple of weeks I've been telling you what we're doing with all the Zucchini we've been blessed to harvest from the garden.  There is no shortage of zucchini here, let me tell you. 


Last week I shared a Baked Zucchini Crumble ...it was a hit! Everyone that tried it absolutely loved and didn't know that it was Zucchini until I told them. Every single person thought it was apple. Well, my oldest daughter asked if it was pear and followed up with..."it's early for pears isn't it?" Ha! 


Well, the zucchini has kept coming and I don't want to waste ANY OF IT. So I decided to can some pie filling. 


I used the first half of the recipe and made about 3 batches.


 So using the following ingredients: 


CANNED ZUCCHINI PIE FILLING
5 cups Zucchini- Peeled,seeded, and chopped
1/2 C. Lemon Juice
3/4 C. Sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg 


I cooked the zucchini with the lemon juice about 15 minutes per batch. 
Then added the sugar and spices cooked about 1 1/2 minutes longer. 
After I got this all cooked I got it into pint jars (I ran out of pints and had one 1 quart jar). I put them in a water bath for canning about 10 minutes, after I brought the water to boiling. 
Removed them after 10 minutes, let cool at room temperature and stored them on the shelf! 

Now, I'm sure we'll have pie or cobbler filling come the fall! 

Since we've had some mild temperatures and I had the canner out and the water heated up... I also decided to make some Blackberry Jam.  After we've eaten so many of the berries we had frozen-- I still have about 1 qt. of frozen berries, and I was able to amass about 4 pints of jam! 
So delicious. 
I followed the jam recipe on the flap in the SURE-Jell box. 
7 cups sugar
5 cups crushed berries (we like the seeds in) 
1 box of  Sure-jell. 

SO YUMMIE!  

This week it's PLUMS and tomatoes... not together mind you... Hope the weather stays cool enough to get it done!  Do you have any good recipes for Tomatoes? or Plums...although I'm set on Jam...I love plum jam! 

I'm linking this here: 





The Grace of the LORD Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Philippians 4:23

4 comments:

Prior said...

Sounds yummy and interesting...my daddy always had so much zucchini I love the bread!
LEzlee

Intentional Living Homestead said...

This recipe sounds delicious...will be trying it as more of my zucchini ripens.

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of zucchini pie filling. Sounds yummy though.

Pop over to my blog on Fridays for the Carnival of Home Preserving. Hope to see you there.

A Baker's Dozen Barnhouse News said...

I found your entry on the Barn Hop page and wanted to try your recipe for canning zucchini! We make *apple* (zucchini) crisps too, and the children at Bible Study can't tell that they're not eating apples. My children really enjoy it, but we've never thought to can it as pie filling! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe:)

Blessings,

Sherry