Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Time for Another Installment of...

When Life gives you Zucchini! 


Last week I showed you this "HORRID" picture of my YELLOW ZUCCHINI. 
Some of you may not know... but yellow zucchini is a good indicator that you're not eating it fast enough!! and it is no longer at it's freshest!  Most of the time, unless it's soft or has bad spots, it is still GOOD on the inside. 


Now, we did have some that turned this way right on the vine and had blemishes. We tossed those to the chickens. But these in this photo turned yellow, because they sat on the counter a couple of days to long.  
Rather than waste them. I remembered my Summer Reading last year. (I read the whole series of Little House on the Prairie Books) ...in one of those books, sorry, I don't remember which; all I  remember was Ms. Ingalls making a "mock apple pie". She made it with GREEN PUMPKIN.  It fooled the dad- he even wondered where they had gotten the apples? That got me wondering about this zucchini. I searched for some recipes until I came upon a couple that sounded good; read them through and came up with my own recipe. I can never seem to follow a recipe-- either I am missing ingredients or something else sounds better.  

 I made a cobbler crumble this morning! It was so delicious. 

 Here is my recipe. 
Rather than call it "mock apple pie" ...I'll just call it what it is. Although, The Honey thought it was good and said "it looks like apples.What is it? " 

Baked Zucchini Crumble

5 cups Zucchini- Peeled,seeded, and chopped
1/2 C. Lemon Juice
3/4 C. Sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

2 C. all purpose flour
1 C. Whole wheat flour
1 C. rolled Oats
1 C. white sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar (packed) 
3 sticks of butter (about 1 1/2 cups)  ***I used 2 sticks of butter and it was a little dry; we served it with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top.  PERFECT! 
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Put chopped Zucchini and lemon juice in a saucepan over a low heat cook until tender about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. 
Add next 3 ingredients (sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg) to pot simmer 1 min. longer

While this is cooking. Mix in a large bowl Flour, Oats, and both sugars, cut the butter and mix with your clean hands until resembles a crumble mixture. 

Add about 1 handful of crumb mix to the saucepan with zucchini mixture and stir. Line a 13 X 9 inch pan with half of the remaining mix; spoon in zucchini mix cover with remaining crumbles. Bake for about 45 minutes in a 375° oven or when it bubbles. Remove  let cool or serve warm with ice cream. 



But... I still have zucchini left so I've decided to can some pie filling for later in the year. I'll be back and show you how I adapted this recipe for canning pie filling. 




Linking this recipe up with Donna's FJI- SNS #141 (under crafts, sewing, cooking) 
Saturday Nite Special link party via Funky Junk Interiors





The Grace of the LORD Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Philippians 4:23

8 comments:

Claudia said...

What a great idea! I'm going to keep this recipe on hand. And now you've done it: you've made me want to read the Little House books again!

xo
Claudia

The Boston Lady said...

And now, our latest installment of Pat's "As The Zucchini Yellows"... This sounds delicious, what a clever way to use the zucchini, and besides what isn't good with cinnamon, sugar and ice cream? Funny that your husband thought it was apple. Good idea to can some for another time. You may be selling that stuff eventually! Ann

Sunny Simple Life said...

That is good to know. I will have to file this one away for the future. I have two big ones on the counter right now.

momto8 said...

thank you for this new idea! we get so much zucchini in our garden I cannot even give it away. I have been freezing it, just slicing it and freezing the past several yrs ....wonderful for pasta sauces, meatloaf, etc..all winter long.

Gail said...

What a great idea Pat!! It looks and sounds YUMMY! Hope you have a wonderful day, Gail

Revi said...

This stuff is not cheap at the grocery store! Maybe you could sell some to people who don't have gardens? I'd gladly buy fresh grown produce!
-Revi

Eclectically Vintage said...

Oh how I hated that mean Nellie Olson - hopefully she didn't get a piece of that mock apple pie! I read all the books too (as you can see)!

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a word that rhymes with zucchini
But I'm at a loss!
Guess I'm not as good a poet
As I originally thought.
Kelly

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

NUMMMMM...sounds delicious!! Little House on the Prairie...that was my favorite series as a little girl. I remember getting lost in those books!! Hope you are having a great weekend! Laurel