Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Frugal Fodder ~6~

This weeks Frugal Fodder is just a 'laundry list' of things I've done in my home this week to save money. 

Again...these may or may not be things that you do. But I share them only to jog your memory, help you think of ways to save a little in your home. 

Of course, recycling is on the top of the list. 
I just found out recently that we have a 'new' facility (apparently it's been open for a couple of years now) for recycling, cans, paper, plastic, and glass for free. 
If you call ahead, there is also the option to bring in tires, paint, and they have instructions on how and where to dispose of 'wet' garbage (ie: paint, oil, cleaners, etc) 
Our place to take these items is called the K-County ECO- Station, but you can call your local municipal office or county agent and they can tell you where and how to dispose of some of these items. 
Most household recyclables are free to drop off-- including: 
**aluminum, glass bottles, cardboard, newspaper, shredded paper or other paper products,motor oil, and oil filters, tin cans (must be rinsed) Plastics #1 and #2 (look for national recycling symbol/number on bottom of bottles) and batteries. I'm told other items there is a fee. They take items such as: House Hold Trash, furniture, (couches, chairs, mattress/springs, washer, dryer, refrigerator (no compressors allowed); they also take lawn mowers, tires, all metals. 
 So call to get the price and schedule. 
This saves money for us-- rather than paying someone to haul it off. 

The there is also recycling and gifting... 
I'm making hats for all the grandsons in our family ...they are each getting a soda can hat! Variety of drinks mixed with a variety of yarn (all bought at yard sales, thrifts, and hand offs) 
Out of 15 grandkids... 5 are girls. 
I'm re-thinking my strategy for next year.... making 10 of anything needs to be started earlier in the year or easier than all the other items! 


The crocheting goes pretty fast once I got the pattern down. The cutting and punching of the cans is what was hard. 

I put the word out to any and everyone I know, that drinks beer or ANY beverage from beautiful colored bottles...that I'm wanting a 'bottle tree'  

Not because I believe I got HAINTS... NO! 
I just think they are pretty!  I've been wanting one ever since Lezlee from PriorLives,started showing pictures of her Moma's bottle trees  here and her own bottle tree in her mom-cave 
here 
 So, then I mentioned it to The Honey...he wasn't for it at all...nope
But, then the other day-- he told me to close my eyes...and he took my hand and led me outside to find this! 


It's a start. We're not drinkers....so it is slow going. I love recycling! I love gift giving...and I love when The Honey speaks my language with his own little gifts to me. 

We later moved this tree to the side of the yard, out of 'harms way' and have since added green bottles; and NOW, I can see it from the kitchen window now too.  Perfect! 



Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. ~ Isaiah 26:3 


6 comments:

Tombstone Livestock said...

I live near a winery and asked them for all their blue bottles that were out back to go into recycle bin (we pay to have that picked up) and neighbor bought some Budweiser Platninum bottles so she brought me 24 of them. Now I need to buy some more rebar to add to my tree trunk. I also added some round globe solar lights to my tree and few green bottles to look like leaves.

Sandy said...

We have been forced to recycle here in sofla
they gave us yellow bins and it's easy,, just
put it all in and the truck separates.
Thanks for your sweet comment on my little house
ornament.. I need to put it in the mail and I
think I missed the deadline. Or I can drive the
4 hours to Cyndi's house. Not sure yet.
Have a wonderful Holiday
Sandy

Patty Sumner said...

I love your bottle tree. I am going to do one too..... one of these days... it is difficult to find beautifully colored bottles.. Blessings!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Those crochet hats are so cute!

Yes, I love bottle trees too. I think I saw one you can buy in a garden catalog but that sort of takes the fun out of it!

The Boston Lady said...

Oh my gosh, those hats are something! Now wait a minute... you have 15 grandchildren?!?!?!? I love the bottle tree almost as much as I love the idea that your husband surprised you with it! Ann

camp and cottage living said...

You're doing a great job with your recycling!
I really like those bottle trees too. So sweet
your honey came around after all.
Hope you can get all your hats done by Christmas!
Have a good one.