Monday, June 16, 2014

A Hit and A Miss…

 

Lucy on the porch rail

That’s how my  blogging has been of late. I have plenty going on here; but I just don’t sit down to write about it. I think about taking pictures too late ..or it’s just too late in the day to come to the computer to write; or some days I’ve just not been able to put my thoughts into words. I was starting to think I was getting lazy.

After the gardening, the cooking, the cleaning,(also a hit and a miss)  the Grand baby rocking, taking the LITTLES to swim…laundry, chicken wrangling…etc, the list goes on. NOPE. NOT LAZY!  I just,could not FOCUS!

Then What?! for crying out loud!  I thought maybe it had a lot to do with my age as a women…YOU KNOW? and my HORROR-MONES.  Probably.  That could have something to do with how I was feeling. But more and more I was tired.

I finally, did it.  I got up last Wednesday and called the Dr. Office… I have insurance…so go already. Got that back before the turn of the New Year.  I just haven’t gone.  I’d been putting it off.  Fortunately, when I called, they had a NEW PATIENT appointment THAT MORNING!   I’m pretty sure that was God’s way of telling me to get in there.  Getting up and calling and going ALL. IN. THE. SAME. MORNING.   It’s the same way I get into the pool.  I DO NOT think about it and I do not tip-toe into the water.  I DIVE IN.  That way if the water is cold—my whole body is consumed by the shock of it…and it the water is just right… then I’M REFRESHED ALL OVER AT ONCE. 

Long story short.  I am Diabetic.  I think I held it off as long as I could. The last time I visited a Family Doctor and had test run for this was about 6-8 years ago.  I was told then “No.”  I wasn’t diabetic.  Well, I am now. :/  It runs in my family.  Grandparents, Parents, Sibling--- so I wasn’t surprised.

I am on meds now. But my numbers were such that the P.A. told me if I DIET AND EXERCISE …deliberate exercise, not JUST ACTIVITY…but really exercise, like 30 minutes of sweaty exercise daily;  I could possibly get to where I can control it without meds. I HAVE A STRONG AVERSION TO EXCERCISE TOO…by the way.  Most my other numbers were pretty good—I think they would fall under the “NEEDS IMPROVEMENT” category, if I were to be graded on them.

In 9 months—I’ll be 50.  My mother, was diabetic and wasn’t/ didn’t control her health. She was also a smoker and ended up dying at the Young age of 52.  Oh! how I miss her. Oh! how I wish she were still here to see my grown up kids—having GROWING families. 

Speaking of GROWING FAMILIES– The Honey and I are going to be  Oma and Honey again!  We found out the same day I went to the doctor that our oldest is expecting.  We’re cautiously optimistic for them… as for now, she is considered high risk. 

I have lots of incentive to get well and be well. Littles, Babies…new babies. My Husband, my kids, and MY GOD! 

God is faithful.  He will give me strength!  “The joy of the LORD is my Strength” `Nehemiah 8:10

In case you were wondering… If the water is too HOT—and it is sometimes too hot to swim in, I just dive in and get out! No sense in just cooking slowing in the water. Nothing like a HOT dip in the pool to make relaxing in the shade even more worth while. ;)

Til next time, Be Blessed!



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him. ~Psalm 28:7

 

16 comments:

Diane said...

Good luck with everything. I used to do aerobics all the time then got sick and can't do them anymore! Seems like we get what we don't want, doesn't it? 52 is very young. My mother died at 59. They missed a lot. Take care!

White Lace and Promises said...

I found mine when I was 50. I had been taking care of my parents and was not taking care of myself. It's been three years and I'm still not taking care of myself. I need an accountability partner. Help me come up with a meal plan. Do some posts on it if you get it figured out. I need some help. Good luck to you. Prayers. I have to get it together. I have grandbabies to enjoy too!

Connie said...

I'm sorry to here about your diabetic test being positive. I know what you mean about not having time to blog. I feel like I am burning my candle at both ends, and at the end of the day when I sit down to eat dinner, I am gone . . . wiped totally out of anymore energy. I'm doing a lot that I could blog about, but I really don't have the time to stop and take photos. Well, that comes with summer and it come with moving. I'll be so happy when this move in completely done :)
If you find a way to exercise that is enjoyable, let me know. The only thing that I really loved doing was swimming laps, and then our senior pool closed. It was nice going to a pool where there were only old geezers like myself :)
Keep Smiling,
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

My Repurposed Life said...

I'm glad you finally went to the dr. I hope that your energy level increases... but you are very, very busy these days. So, don't beat yourself up too much.
I need to take time to exercise! ugh!

take care of yourself Patricia!

gail

Char said...

One day at a time, baby steps, you never know what tomorrow will bring. You already have today, try and smile and not to think about what may be. You can waste so much time on being afraid of what will happen and then you miss what could be. Your greatest fears may never show themselves, trust me, I have been there. Char

Shug said...

Lots going on in your busy life! Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with diabetes! Our middle grandson was diagnosed about 9 months ago with Type I and I try so hard to make sure he eats the right things... Congratulations on the expectancy! Grandbabies make life fun and exciting.
Swimming should be great exercise for you....take care of yourself...

NanaDiana said...

Praying for you, Pat! I think you will do fine and it would be great if you could get off the meds. I am on the "go" all the time, too, but really dislike organized exercise, too.

Congrats on the new grandbaby! I will be praying for your daughter, too. High risk pgs are scary. I pray that she does fine and delivers a healthy sweet baby!

God bless-Sometimes the worst part of a health issue is not knowing what is wrong. Looks like you took the bull by the horns and took charge of things. Love you---xo Diana

The Polka Dot Closet said...

So glad you went in, got an answer to why you were feeling bad and now know how to handle it....You can do it, just find some exercise you like....I went through many and then found out I liked spinning, it's a stationary bike and believe it or not the old "sweating to the oldies" videos...There is something out there for you! Congrats on the grandma thing again!! Hope all goes well, keep us posted....I think there will be some funny exercise posts in our future!

Carol

A Daughter of the King said...

http://www.culturedfoodlife.com/ Please listen to Donna's Story. Blessings and prayers for healing and support.

RHome410 said...

My dear, Pat...PLEASE find some exercise to LOVE!! Switch it up, find a team sport, walk with a buddy... Much better than getting dependent on meds for your health, especially if you can avoid it. Now I need to follow my own advice! I have been planning to get a stationary bike, so I can exercise while distracted by tv, movie, or music.

Art and Sand said...

I know it gets hot in Texas, but can you and your husband go for an hour walk each day? I don't know if that is "sweaty" enough for you to control the diabetes, but that is one thing Steve and I do every single day and sometimes twice a day. It helps that the dog wants to go for a walk.

I am glad you listened to the warnings and got help.

The Boston Lady said...

Hi Pat, I know you will tackle this challenge head on and will be successful. Knowledge is half the battle, the other half you can handle! Congrats on the new grand baby!!! It's funny how good and bad things sometimes come together. I suggest water aerobics. You can do those in the pool with the kids! Or Zumba on a DVD. Everyone can do that too! Big Hug! Ann

The Boston Lady said...

I'm trying to comment! Water aerobics or Zumba! Kids can do them with you! You've got this Pat!! Big hug and smile for the expectant mom! Ann

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Let us know what you decide on the exercise. Maybe some of us could start exercising with you- at least virtually!

Audrey said...

Hi Pat ... looks like you have a lot going on right now and I understand the problems with getting everything done and feel like blogging too. Sorry about the health issue, but I am sure you will do the right thing to control it. Good luck and my God bless you.
Hugs,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

Claudia said...

I'm glad you found out, Pat, and that the medication is helping. But exercise (and you know how I hate it) would certainly be a wonderful way of controlling it. Thinking of you, my friend.
xo
Claudia